Event: The Friday of Anger
Occupation: Student
Age: 17


Amira Samir Al-Sayed Dawidar

Amira was in her second year of high school and was eager to enrol in college. She was very dedicated student and aspired to be among  the highest ranked students.

Her mother said she was an excellent role model for all those around her. She memorised the Qur’an and would compete with her father in recitation during the month of Ramadan. She was also a talented athlete.

She would visit the orphanage next to her house and often to sit and play with the kids, even buying them gifts like she was their mother. Sometimes she would go to the orphanage with her mother and would plead, “My beloved mother, spend today playing with the kids and make them feel loved because they are in dire need of a mother”. “Everyone in the orphanage asks about her,” said her mother Ghada Ali Abdul-Ati.

Amira’s mother reminisces about the day she was killed: Amira woke up early, prayed Fajr, and cleaned her room. After that, she gathered her belongings and went to attend a private lesson at her friend Huda’s home in the neighbourhood of Lisknana.

“The lesson was at 12, but the teacher canceled. Shortly after Friday prayers, the demonstrations began outside Raml Thani police station which was about 155 meters from her house. “Amira was in front of my eyes,” said her mother, “She was looking out the window of her friend’s apartment when the tear gas began. I screamed at her to come home, but going outside and walking even for this short distance was very dangerous.” Amira yelled back, “I can’t my beloved mother!” Her mom replied, “Stay with your friend until things calm down.”

Noticing the police violence against the protesters, Amira’s mother and her 12 year old son Ahmed began helping the protesters by giving them water and vinegar to protect against the tear gas during the most violent attacks by police. Despite seeing the massacre before her eyes, she was glad that Amira was safe at her friend’s apartment.

In reality Amira was not safe. She was watching and recording what was happening on her phone. Moments later, there was a loud scream. At first everyone in her friend’s house thought she was simply afraid of what was happening, but when her friend came to check up on her she found Amira bleeding profusely after being shot by a sniper. Amira died, her friend’s family was unsure of what to do and how to tell Amira’s mother of her only daughter’s death.

The family contacted Amira’s maternal uncle who immediately came to their house despite the chaos in the streets. Amira’s uncle informed her father, but hid the news from her mother. Amira’s uncle and father took her to the hospital amidst the chaos.

Her mother was completely unaware. Whenever she called to ask about Amira, her husband would say that she was still studying at her friend’s house and is prohibited from leaving until the situation on the streets calms down.

They tried to resuscitate Amira, but were unable to do so. When her father arrived at the hospital they put her body in a refrigeration unit and headed home. When they returned home her father said, “We had to lie to her mother when she asked about Amira. We told her that she was in intensive care at the hospital. She screamed, ‘How could you just leave her alone in the hospital!?’ But, she knew the answer when she saw my tears. She felt in her heart that Amira went to her Lord.”

On the morning of the January 29th, after the curfew was lifted, the family went to the hospital. Amira’s father did not allow his wife to enter the hospital and to wait in the car. Soon after she discovered that she was going to bury her daughter. Her pain was great and all she asked was to have a last look at her daughter.